Saturday, February 21, 2009

Why Do I Have To Teach In The Future?



Take a good hard look at Michael J., because that is how I feel right now. When did it come to this? Studying for today (an ongoing event for the last 8 hours) I have basically had to stare at this screen. Sure, I got up to go to the bathroom and to get dill pickle Pringles (why God?) and to go get my Gallagher book (thank you God!) and to plug my phone (also an Internet portal) into the wall... as much as I utilize this technology—I can't help but ask: is it really making anything easier? Is it making me a better teacher?

Like so many things, it depends on how you use it. Unfortunately, I am an impish, impulsive, adult-onset-ADD(probably due to this contraption)pop-culture-consumer so my ability to procrastinate or find other things to do just within this white demon is endless.

Okay: so schools "have been slow to react to the emergence of this new participatory culture" (Jenkins p.4), and I would tend to agree.

All of this "no cell phone" talk is absolute garbage. EVERY student has one. EVERY student pulls them out during class. The new teacher attitude is "pick your battles"—which is to say: "as long as I can get through class...then I won't even bother reprimanding anyone for cellphone use."

I'm sitting in the back of these rooms observing the students—many know that I am going to be their new teacher—and they are constantly pulling out some sort of device. In MORE THAN ONE class, the students were given time to "work" on their projects and they were allowed to pull out their contraptions. Two students (that I witnessed) were watching video media on their devices and all the teacher said when she saw it was "turn it down."

WTF!? I feel like a dinosaur. When I was in High School (here we go Grandpa...) the thought of WATCHING A MOVIE during class was literally science fiction. Sure, once you were in college you could watch films on your laptop during lectures, but what was the point? You could just as easily stay in your bed and watch movies and get the notes from someone else—why torture yourself in that uncomfortable chair?

Maybe I've seen too many techno-horror films (The Net, etc...)



Ok: so we need to close the gap, educate all in new literacy, digital media studies, yada yada enough already.

I completely agree with this article that just passing out the technology is not enough and that what is needed is an actual functioning knowledge to utilize technology to the best of its ability. I think that it is possible to bring out the best in some people but unfortunately there isn't enough of a filter in place where we need it most (YouTube, MySpace, etc.) to block out the worst in humanity (as the article suggests).

This article hits on a ton of the worries I have with technology and getting it into more hands and I really hope to look deeper into it when I have more time and am not having panic attacks over my teaching (IN TWO WEEKS)...anyway, I am going to integrate more differentiation and new literacies into my classroom than the students have had all year—but I'm going to be smart with it and hopefully show the students that they can accomplish something worthwhile and of quality without wasting a ton of time or integrity.

And I won't be a hypocrite.

Best Recut Movie Trailer EVER:

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, the link to the Pringles website was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe!

    I love the passion in your tone! You bring up a highly significant point about digital technology and procrastination. I agree with you; how do you incorporate technology while monitoring for efficiency and task completion? As you mention, perhaps the key to create authentic assignments using digital technology that motivate the students to stick with it. However, in addition to the procrastination potential, I think there is also a danger in the habits that students have already developed in regards to technology (i.e. using technology irresponsibly and abusively). The internet becomes a safe space for all sorts of explicit material that is completely inappropriate for classrooms! By bringing technology into our classrooms, we need to find ways to monitor this.
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Hypocrite-

    I am writing to ask you about the correct policy regarding cell phones. I've been struggling with this for awhile, too- I look at mine occasionally throughout the day, but I don't text, watch videos, or play music during a lecture. Where do we (future teachers) draw the line? And should we draw it opposite of where other teachers (like the ignorant teacher I watched the other day) and ban cell phone use all together in the classroom? I'm confused...

    Sincerely,
    A Fellow Hypocrite

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also been wondering about the cell phone policies. At Central, they aren't allowed out during classtime at all and yet the students put them behind their purses, in their laps or right on the desk and text. I see this happening but I don't know if it's my place to say something right now, or if I should write down those kids who continuously do it and make sure to watch for them when I start teaching. If my coop teacher sees a phone out and in use, she does take it, but it's hard to watch 25 students and make sure the lesson gets done...
    I also like how much your voice shines through on your posts, it's like you're having a conversation. Bravo!

    Dill pickle pringles? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joe,

    Great questions, and I certainly don't have all the answers. I do think it's critical to remember that we establish social norms in our classes, and helping students navigate from one set of rules to another is a valuable skill. So if you say no cell phones, then no cell phones. They will adapt. And push back, of course.

    I appreciate how you are using the affordances of the blog here. I love the images and embedded video. I enjoy visiting each week (great picture at the top, btw).

    Well done,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, the background to your blog header is super sweet. I wish I got a picture like that from Crosswinds. Totally perfect.

    ReplyDelete